Saturday 9 December 2023

'Condensed' soup (plus recipe)

It's really difficult to get Campbell's condensed soup just now, which is not ideal if you have a recipe that needs it. But I thought of an idea - and it works!

If you mix powdered soup up with half the quantity of water, it gives you a pretty good condensed soup consistency. I actually preferred the texture. (I think I would sieve the croutons out in future, though - they got rather soggy waiting for the soup to be used!)


And here's the recipe - sausage pasta.

You will need:
  • Square sausage. I used 4 for 3 people (260g), and could easily have got away with less.
  • Frozen spinach. 3 lumps per person.
  • Pasta. Whatever you would normally use - I use a small handful each.
  • Condensed mushroom soup. One tin for 3 or 4 people. Or I used 3 packs of cup-a-soup, diluted with half the water.

What to do:
  1. Shred the sausage with a couple of forks into small lumps.
  2. Put in a large frying pan on medium heat  (no oil needed if it's non-stick). Stir from time to time until cooked.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the pasta.
  4. Also meanwhile, defrost the spinach in the microwave.
  5. When sausage is done, add spinach and stir through.
  6. When pasta is done, add to mixture (I use a slotted spoon, but if you drain it, make sure to reserve some of the cooking water).
  7. Stir in soup.
  8. Add a little pasta water to bind it and get the sauce to the consistency you want.
  9. Eat!

No comments: