Saturday 14 April 2012

Money money money

I've just been discussing prices for possible upcoming projects with a client. I can't afford to work at what they want to pay me (I mean really can't afford to - not just would prefer not to).

It's so frustrating. I want to do the work - if only money didn't have to come into it. So often I see things and think: this organisation needs an illustrator, that publication could do with a proper designer instead of being clearly designed by the editor. But then I think of what I'd have to charge, and how they are unlikely to be able to (or at least see the necessity of making a way to) pay me.

So many worthwhile things have to make do with amateurish illustration and shoddy design, while all the good design is wasted on big corporations only out to make money.

I've always thought that the best economic system is "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need". There is the slight problem - unfortunately overlooked by those who have tried to implement it - that it needs perfect human beings to achieve it!

No comments: