Wednesday 25 May 2016

Commitment

A random thought I had (I have strange random thoughts):

You shouldn't get married unless you would be willing to get their name tattooed on you.

Now I realise there are all kinds of reasons why you might not want any tattoo at all (cultural, religious, aesthetic, pain...). But one reason - their permanency - does not apply here. If you're thinking, 'but what if we split up?' you shouldn't be getting married.

And then I thought - maybe you shouldn't get baptised unless you would (apart from all the above caveats) be willing to get Jesus' name tattooed on you. 

After all - he has my name engraved on the palms of his hands*. He is committed to me forever. Am I to him?


*I'm not sure if this is slightly out of context - the immediate context is about Zion (Jerusalem). However, it's part of a longer passage which is talking about the salvation of the Gentiles, and Christians are part of the heavenly Zion/Jerusalem. Anyway, if I've misused this passage, the point still stands :-)

No comments: